Health & Sanitation Guidelines Hotel Operations
At Tafer Hotels & Resorts, we deeply care about the health of our members, guests, and associates. We are following the advice of governmental authorities and adhering to public health guidance to be able to offer all members and guests a safe and healthy environment that allows us to provide exceptional service whilst focusing on performing our activities and presenting immaculate facilities. The following plan outlines what Tafer Hotels & Resorts will do to keep our members, guests, associates, and our community safe.
Each department, from the Rooms Division and Food & Beverage to our Dining Room staff and Activities Team, has its own set of standard operating procedures broken down in the summary. It is our commitment to continue to adjust, refine and update the plan as we start to adapt to a New Normal aligning with the industry standards for resorts operations.Read more Download PDF
Cleaning Protocol for 10 high-touch surfaces
- 1.- HANDLES & KNOBS
- 2.- IN-ROOM FOOD & BEVERAGE
- 3.- TELEPHONES, REMOTE CONTROLS AND CLOCKS
- 4.- HARD SURFACES
- 5.- BED & BEDDING
- 6.- SWITCHES & ELECTRONIC CONTROLS
- 7.- CLIMATE CONTROL PANELS
- 8.- MAJOR BATHROOM SURFACES
- 9.- BATH AMENITIES
- 10.- CLOSET
Associates, Member & Guest Health
The Health, Safety and Wellbeing of our associates, members and guests is paramount and our Top Priority.
Temperature Checks at Entry Points
To ensure that associates, members and guests entering the property are healthy, entry points to the resort will have thermal cameras installed to conduct a non-invasive temperature check and in case of the associates, our security team will be taking their temperatures with a non- contact forehead digital thermometer. Anyone showing a temperature over 99°F / 37°C will be assisted to an area to take a second temperature screening. Any member, guest or associate displaying a temperature over 99°F / 37°C will be directed towards appropriate medical care.
Social Distancing Practices
Guests will be advised to practice social distancing by standing at least 6 Feet / 1.8 Meter distances away from other groups of people not traveling with them while standing in lines, using elevators, or moving around the property. As well as on the part of the associates during Check-in or any other interaction when necessary, members and guests will be invited and promoted to practice social distancing of at least 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters.
Associates will be reminded to practice social distancing between members, guests, and fellow colleagues all the time and trained not to touch their faces.
Restaurants will comply with occupancy limits and table distance of 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters. Pool lounge chairs at the pool and beach areas will be arranged to ensure appropriate distancing based on the space available.
All Tafer Resorts will comply with, or exceed local, state, or federal mandated occupancy limits.
Reinforcement of Hand washing and use of Sanitizing Hand Gel
Throughout the Resorts, sanitizer dispensers are located in strategic locations such as Bell Desk, Reception, Concierge, Lobby, Restrooms, Restaurants entrance, Bar, Pool and Beach areas, Wellness areas, Spa, Offices and work areas including the heart-of-the-house. Sanitizers are refilled and checked regularly.
The proper procedures are posted on the TV in each room and any associate will invite guests to use the sanitizing hand gel after each interaction if handwashing is not available.
An internal campaign to ensure associates are hand washing at least every 60 minutes and when necessary will be promoted and supervised. For all Food & Beverage associates hand washing is mandatory at least every 30 minutes and whenever necessary.
Preventive Measures Information
Guidance posters will be posted throughout the property and on our internal digital channel to remind associates of the correct way to wear and handle masks, wash their hands, sneeze appropriately, and avoid touching their faces.
Information about COVID-19 to Members, Guests and Associates
Our associates have been trained on how to respond swiftly and report any suspected cases of COVID- 19 on property. We will be ready to provide support to our guests. Associates are instructed to stay home if they do not feel well and are asked to contact a supervisor/ manager if they notice a fellow colleague or guest with a cough, shortness of breath, or other known symptoms of COVID-19.
Protocol for Identification of Suspicious Cases
All associates are instructed to notify their respective Manager should they detect any person displaying a cough, shortness of breath or other known symptoms of COVID-19 or a temperature above 99°F / 37°C either during their stay or upon entering the property.
In case of a member or guest, the General Manager or Deputy will contact the member or guest, provide the appropriate PPE, and directs the member or guest to the hotel ́s doctor office for further evaluation.
The hotel doctor adheres to local / state / federal regulations of the health authorities. The hotel and the member or guest will carry out the specific measures and recommendations that the doctor determines after the evaluation.
Frequent Hand Washing
Associates will receive mandatory training to perform proper hand washing or use sanitizer when a sink is not available. Handwashing will be done routinely at least every 60 minutes (for 20 seconds), after a specific task is completed or after every break before returning to their work area, using the restroom, sneezing, blowing the nose, cleaning, sweeping, mopping, smoking, eating or drinking. For all Food & Beverage associates hand washing is mandatory at least every 30 minutes and whenever necessary.
This practice will be overseen by each supervisor and manager. Proper procedures are posted in all work areas in the heart-of-the-house and reinforced at daily briefings.
Use of Personal Protective Equipment
All associates will wear the appropriate PPE based on their role and responsibilities. Each employee will be required to wear the provided mask from the moment they enter and while on the property. Gloves will be provided to associates only whose responsibilities require them. Training on how to properly use and dispose of all PPE will be mandatory.
Control of Internal Briefings, Materials & Tools
Internal pre-shift briefings will be sectioned to ensure physical distance between associates.
All associates undergo daily training on COVID-19 awareness and overall health, safety, and knowledge.
Shared tools and equipment will be sanitized before, during and after each shift or anytime the equipment is transferred to a new employee. This includes phones, radios and computers, payment terminals, kitchen implements, engineering tools, safety buttons, cleaning equipment, keys, time clocks and all other direct contact items used throughout the resorts.
All worked and shared areas, such as lobbies, restrooms, elevators, front desk, elevator landings, office centers, entry/exit door handles/knobs, push bars, and light switches, will be cleaned and sanitized routinely.
Member and Guest Experience
- The temperature of each member and guest arriving will be taken non-invasively using an infrared thermometer at the main entrance.
- Sanitizing gel is always available at the Bell Boy Podium for use upon arrival or departure of guests.
- Each Bell Boy carries sanitizing gel and/or a package of sanitizing wipes, which will be used to properly sanitize their hands after attending to a guest.
- The Bell Boy will maintain a distance of at least 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters when welcoming the member and guest, getting out of the vehicle and invite member and guest to make use of the sanitizing gel prior to the Check-in process.
- It is recommended for each member and guest to connect their mobile device with the TV to be used as a remote control where available. Instructions are provided by the Bell Boy and are also available on the TV menu.
- Luggage being handled by the Bell Boy will be sanitized prior to suite delivery.
- After the luggage delivery, the cart will be sanitized by the Bell Boy team.
- Valet Parking services will be suspended until further notice.
- Check-in desks will be separated to respect social distancing of at least 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters.
- Physical distancing signage is placed strategically in the Lobby area.
- Sanitizing gel will be available at each Check-in area/desk for use at the beginning and completion of the registration process.
- Guest Room key cards are sanitized prior to each Check-in.
- The Reception team offers a welcome amenity mask to all arriving members and guests.
- Disinfection of all guest touchpoints after each transaction, including credit card devices, pens, and registration desks.
- Registration desks, supplies and phones will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized during each shift change.
- Hand sanitizing dispensers are available at elevator banks and landings at ground level.
- Capacity of 4 people maximum except for guests in the same room will be permitted per elevator.
- An associate will be present to sanitize the button panels and other contact surfaces at least every hour or more frequently depending on traffic in each elevator of the resort including associate elevators.
- Maids will be required to use a mask during the cleaning service and mandatory handwashing before and after each service is added to all maid and supervision processes. Soap and personal sanitizing gel will be provided to each associate.
- Carts and equipment are sanitized at the beginning and end of each shift.
- To minimize contact with members and guests while cleaning the resorts; in the registration process a program will be offered to schedule the desired time to perform the cleaning service.
- All reusable collateral is removed from rooms; critical information is being placed on single use collateral and/or will be supplemented digitally.
- Extra pillows and blankets will available upon guest request to avoid storing in room closets.
- Pen, paper, writing pad and guest directory are removed and available upon request.
- Industry leading cleaning and sanitizing protocols are used to clean guest rooms, with particular attention paid to high-touch items including television remote controls, toilet seats and handles, door and furniture handles, cabinetry, bathroom vanity, accessories and water faucet handles, nightstands, phones, tablets and remote control, in-room control panels, light switches, temperature control panels, alarm clocks, luggage racks, closet and hangers, flooring and windows, sliding doors and jacuzzi.
- All bed linen and bathroom terry will be changed daily and continue to be washed at a high temperature following strict sanitization procedures.
- Carts, trolleys, and equipment to be sanitized at the beginning and end of each shift.
- Laundry personnel use personal protective equipment to handle linen, including a mask.
- Doors will be kept open when possible, otherwise Hostess will be responsible for opening and closing access doors.
- Public surfaces such as podiums, handrails, railings, door handles, and knobs are cleaned multiple times throughout the day and service hours.
- Hand sanitizer is located throughout public and heart-of-the-houselocations, such as restaurant entrance, restrooms, and work areas. Sanitizers are refilled and checked regularly.
- Disinfection of menus, check holders, pens and equipment that is presented to the guest during the service sequence will be carried out after each use.
- Restaurant menus will be available for QR scan access.
- Dining tables, chairs, and bar stools to be sanitized after each use.
- Storage containers, Food preparation stations and Kitchens to be deep cleaned and sanitized before and after each use or at least once per hour.
- Restaurant restrooms will be sanitized at least once every hour.
- Tables to be utilized with appropriate social distancing between each family or traveling party (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters or as otherwise advised by local authorities)
- No Buffet service or self-serve food available including snacks until further notice.
- All associates interactions with members and guests will take place at an appropriate physical distance or 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters.
- Restaurant servers will follow the hand washing protocol at least every 30 minutes or after finishing the service sequence at a guest table.
- Mandatory use of mask, mesh, and gloves for kitchen associates.
- The Suite Service is available in the TV program or iPad where applicable.
- All service trolleys and hot boxes will be properly sanitized with solution.
- All servers’ interactions with members and guest will take place at an appropriate physical distance or 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters.
- All ordered food and beverage items are being placed on the dining table, trolley, or other surface instead of being handed directly to a member and guest.
- Check presenters, menus, pens and all other reusable member and guest contact items to be either sanitized after each use or single use.
- Before leaving the members and guest room, the server will disinfect the door handle with solution.
- All associates commence operation with the correct process of hand washing and use of sanitizing gel and mandatory mask.
- All interactions with the member and guest, including beverage preparation, and other associates will take place with 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters of social distancing.
- Seating for bar service will be canceled until further notice.
- Any bar assembly that is on display will be removed.
- The bartender must disinfect the bar upon arrival of guest with a single-use paper and disinfecting solution.
- Menus will already be presented in the bar, properly sanitized. When replacing the menus after a service, they are sanitized immediately.
- Public surfaces such as counters, bar tops, handrails, and railings are cleaned multiple times throughout the day.
- Check presenters, menus, pens and all other reusable member and guest contact items to be either sanitized after each use or single use.
Pool & Beach Area
- Chaise lounge chairs are placed in pairs and fours and with appropriate physical distancing.
- Towels are placed by associates on each Chaise Lounge chair prior to occupancy.
- Chaise Lounge chairs to be sanitized after each use.
- Chaise Lounge chairs are thoroughly washed and sanitized each night.
- Towel stands to be sanitized at least once per hour.
- Public surfaces such as front desk, restaurant counters, credenzas and dining tables are cleaned multiple times throughout the day.
- Public touchpoints, such as handrails, railings, elevators buttons, door handles, and knobs, are also cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- House phones will be removed.
Activities & Kids club
- The activities are carried out in groups of no more than 10 participants or depending on activity, to ensure the Physical Distancing during the activity.
- Materials and utensils will be cleaned and sanitized prior to use by the member and guest and at the end of the activity.
- Mandatory handwashing before and after each service for all associates; mask, soap and personal sanitizing gel will be provided.
Spa & Gym
- Gym access by appointment only; only five (5) people admitted at a time.
- Controlled Spa capacity by appointment only.
- Mandatory use of masks by Spa & Gym associates.
- Gloves for treatment upon member and guest request.
- Sanitizing gel dispenser available for use upon arrival or departure of guests.
- The massage cabins will be completely sanitized with appropriate cleaning supplies and under strict sanitation protocols.
- Upon entering the cabin, the therapist will wash their hands with soap and water. Once they have washed their hands, the therapist will use sanitizing gel and put on surgical gloves before any service should the member or guest so require.
- Massage cabins will be sanitized after each use and will not be used consecutively.
- Controlled Hydrotherapy capacity by appointment only.
- All guest touchpoints are sanitized after each transaction including gym equipment, pens, pads, and Reception countertops.
- Offices, desks, workspaces, and related equipment (including computers and radios) to be sanitized at least once every hour or upon a new employee using the equipment.
Cleaning & Sanitization Protocol
- Sanitizing gel dispenser will be available for use upon entry.
- The cash register will be sanitized at the beginning of each shift. When cash is collected, the money received will be sanitized before being placed in the cash drawer.
- Handles, workstations, telephones, pens, shopping carts, surfaces will be sanitized at the start and end of the shift.
- Self-serving condiment station is closed until further notice.
- The products in warehouse during the shift will be sanitized.
Physical Distancing Protocol
- Illustrative instructions will be placed to indicate the protocol of physical distancing at the front door.
- Retail will comply with occupancy limits.
- There will be no self-service, a vendor will oversee handling all the items that the member and guest carries.
- Dressing room service is suspended until further notice.
Protocol for Associates
Associate Transportation and entrance to Property
All contact surfaces to be sanitized at the completion of each shift by our local transportation providers in addition to standard sanitization protocols. Use of mask is mandatory for all bus drivers and associates.
Clearly defined lines and waiting areas are marked to ensure the physical distancing. Digital time clock will be continuously sanitized after each use.
Our associates know that it is forbidden to report to work with a respiratory disease that can be transmitted to others and they must inform their immediate boss in case of presenting any symptoms for proper follow-up.
Temperatures will be taken before the start of every associate’s shift. For managers, temperature checks should be taken when the manager arrives at the hotel. For hourly associates, temperature checks should occur after the associate has clocked in for his/her shift or while the associate is “on-the- clock.”
A security guard wearing gloves and a mask will take the temperature of each associate with a non- contact forehead digital thermometer. Those associates who present a temperature higher than 99°F / 37°C or any other respiratory symptoms such as cough or difficulty breathing, will be sent to a doctor and will not be admitted until they have the corresponding medical authorization.
Associates Dining Room
Cleaning & Sanitizing Protocol
- All associates to wear a mask until seated at dining table and immediately after finishing meal.
- Kitchens to be deep cleaned and sanitized at least once per day.
- Trays and plates are for single use only.
- To serve food, each cook must wear a face mask and gloves, self-service is not available.
- Storage containers to be sanitized before and after each use.
- Sanitize trays and tray stands after each use.
- Cutlery is wrapped in individual sets.
- Each associate proceeds to carry out hand washing, drying and use of sanitizing gel before and after entering the dining room.
- Tables and chairs are sanitized in between services and after each shift.
Physical Distancing Protocol
- Clearly defined lines and waiting areas are marked on the floor in front of the serving counters.
- Tables will maintain a 6 Feet / 1.8 Meter distance from one another.
- Capacity will be reduced to only 4 associates per table.
- Associates Dining room will comply with capacity limits.
- Service hours are cascaded by department to avoid saturation during peak hours.
All associates undergo daily temperature checks and receive ongoing training by medical practitioners on COVID-19 awareness and overall health, safety, and knowledge.
Continuous communication and training with our associates to reinforce our sanitization safety procedures in both front-of-house and heart-of-house areas such as hand washing, use and handling of masks, use of sanitizing gel, disinfection of work areas and reinforcement of healthy distance between associates and guests.
A mandatory training session is implemented for all associates with the aim of eliminating bad practices that put their health at risk, such as constant contact of the face, eyes, nose and mouth while performing their duties, eating snacks during their day, this without the due cleaning and disinfection process, and physical contact between associates such as handshakes and hugs.
TAFER Hotels & Resorts has updated all of our hygiene and sanitization protocols based on the industry standards for resorts operations to ensure that you have a safe stay.