As the warmer weather arrives, our eating habits change with the emergence of seasonal fruits and vegetables. And in doing so we pledge to eat healthier and detox our bodies from calorific junk food, with recipes for summer unearthed and dusted down.
Here we’ve chosen some scintillating summer recipes and meals for you to prepare and enjoy during the balmy months:
Summer Grilled Shrimp Salad
Puerto Vallarta boasts some of the best seafood in Mexico, with an abundance of dishes featuring shrimp (prawns/camarones) and shellfish. Check out this grilled shrimp recipe, one of the great Vallartan summer salads.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ¼ teaspoons smokehouse maple seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons local organic honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ⅓ cup freshly cooked Mexican corn
- ½ cup diced, or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 fresh avocado, diced
- Combine olive oil, maple seasoning, and lemon juice in a glass bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- For the vinaigrette – whisk olive oil, honey, lime juice, cilantro, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Fire the grilling shrimp until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes on each side. Set to one side.
- Place mixed greens in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Rest the cucumber, corn, tomato, red onion, and avocado in sections on top of the greens. Pile the grilled shrimp in the center of the salad. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Serve immediately with a side of green beans to create a favorite summer meal.
Easy Garlic Lemon Zucchini Noodles
One of the great, yet simple, summer meals that pairs well with crusty bread, a side of tomato salad, and a glass of chilled white wine.
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole medium/large zucchinis (spiralized)
- 1 small/medium lemon (juiced with seeds removed)
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt (more to taste if desired)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil plus fresh basil to garnish
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (if desired)
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and add garlic, stirring and heating for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden. Add noodles and lemon juice and cook over medium heat until noodles are softened about 3-5 minutes. Gently sprinkle in salt, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes then toss to combine. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and a few leaves of fresh basil if desired.
Delicious Grilled Chicken
A simple marinade for this easy grilled chicken recipe. An effortless summer meal that is both quick and tasty.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine the ingredients minus the chicken in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Marinade the chicken with the blended ingredients and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill until cooked through.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This finger-licking meal is a perfect weeknight dinner that can be served with a side dish such as pasta salad or crusty bread.
Mexican Black Bean
Excellent as an accompaniment or on its own, this easily prepared dish is chock-full of protein and iron.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans, do not drain
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the undrained black beans, cilantro, cumin, and salt. Stir well and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow cooking for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with more chopped cilantro and grated cheese (optional).
Hot Summer Nights and Great Food
Although just a small sample of recipes for summer, a visit to most farmers markets will leave you bursting with your own fresh summer ideas for healthy meals and snacks.
Our recipes for summer are delicious, easy, and crammed with nutrients and goodness. Enjoy them, and enjoy the summer!